Monday, May 13, 2024

Lectionary Poem: Hoping For What I've Seen




Lectionary Poem: Hoping For What I’ve Seen


Long ago,
Paul wrote to Rome, asking,
rhetorically, I guess,
“Who hopes for what is seen?”

I wonder if any of the Romans
answered,
“I do!”

It seems like
when things happen that I haven’t seen,
they’re terrible:
Diagnosis
Attack
Insurrection

(Maybe a sign of age?
I’m writing on my birthday.)

No, Paul, I’ll hope for what I’ve seen,
what I’ve felt,
thank you very much.

An old woman, awoke from stupor,
turned to me
and said:
“I never knew I could love my children so much.”

A not very old but so very sick woman 
said:
“I used to ask, ‘Why me?’
But now I ask, ‘Why not me?’”

So, Paul, respectfully,
I’ll hope for what I’ve seen,
what I’ve felt, sometimes,
thank you (God, actually) very much,
        Gifts of the Spirit:

Contentment
Forgiveness
Love


Year B: The Day of Pentecost 
May 19, 2024 
Romans 8:22-27