Sunday, November 04, 2018

No Saints on the Sidelines

St. Paul’s Church in Bergen & Church of the Incarnation, Jersey City NJ
November 4, 2018

Year B: All Saints’ Sunday
Wisdom 3:1-9
Psalm 24
Revelation 21:1-6a
John 11:32-44

No Saints on the Sidelines
            If you were here last week, you may remember that my high school alma mater, St. Peter’s Prep, was already on my mind.
            In last week’s sermon, I talked about the many gifts I received there – most especially the life-transforming understanding that we are all meant to be men and women for others.
            Over the last few days many other people have been thinking about Prep because, as you may have seen on the news, on Wednesday night a man who worked there took his own life.
            His name was Jan – and I had known him back when he was a student and then later when he returned to the school to work in the IT department.
            He was very much a geek, and he was also unfailingly kind and patient, which made him both really good at his job and much loved in the Prep community.
            So, many of us are heartbroken and reeling – terribly sad that Jan must have felt so much despair, so much hopelessness, that he gave up on life – and that he did this in a place he loved so much.
            Among other things, Jan’s death is a powerful reminder of the importance of our mental health – which is at least as important as our physical health, but, unfortunately, although it’s gotten better, there is still a lingering stigma in admitting that we have emotional troubles, in acknowledging that we need some help.
            I feel no shame in admitting to you that there have been times in my life when I’ve had some issues that I’ve needed to work on and that I’ve gotten help from a therapist.
            (Usually this was strongly suggested to me by some people who love me!)
            The most recent time was a couple of years ago when I felt I was kind of losing my way a little.
            I spent several months meeting with a therapist, who was very helpful indeed.
            I remember at one point he had asked me to talk about what parts of my work gave me the most joy.
            By now, most of you know me well enough that probably you could have answered that question on my behalf!
            But, as you’d probably guess, I talked a lot about our public witness: about our Good Friday Stations of the Cross and Jersey City Together and Garden State Episcopal…
            As I was going down that list, my therapist interrupted me and he said, “I know what you like best! You really like to be in the mix!”
            And, actually…that’s not true!
            What I like best is sitting on the couch and losing myself in a good book.
            But, what I have come to understand is that, as pleasurable and valuable as that might be, sitting on the couch reading a good book is not what we’re made for – and, ultimately, it’s not what satisfies us.
            No, we Christians are meant to be men and women for others.
            We are made to be saints.
            And, saints need to be in the mix.
            Because there are no saints on the sidelines.

            As some of you know first-hand, I spend a lot of time encouraging people to come to church. I do that for a couple of reasons but one is because church provides so many different opportunities to get off the sidelines and into the mix.
            Of course, there are all the things that I listed to my therapist, all of the public witness we regularly do – visiting and praying at the places of suffering and death, working for better housing, schools, and safety for ourselves and our neighbors here in Jersey City, supporting our partner organizations that feed and house the homeless.
            Right here, today, we’ve welcomed our Family Promise guests who will make our spiritual home their home for the next two weeks.
            What a tremendous way to get off the sidelines and into the mix, simply by spending some time with our guests or providing food or spending the night or even just by donating to our young saint Mia’s beautiful vision of raising $903 to help provide every child with a permanent home.
            Just last Sunday, a bunch of us got off the sidelines and into the Sandwich Squad, making over 200 sandwiches along with some other goodies that I can tell you were enthusiastically received at the homeless drop-in center on Monday, gratefully accepted by people the world looks at as nobodies and losers, but who God loves so very much.
            Deacon Jill has led so many people off of the sidelines and into the Lighthouse – talk about being in the mix – offering shelter and hope to asylees and refugees – people who, it seems, are more despised by more of our fellow Americans with each passing day.
            I thought of my therapist’s declaration “You like to be in the mix!” as I was off the sidelines and standing on the steps of City Hall on Thursday evening, looking out at the crowd and seeing a few familiar faces, as we stood in solidarity with our Jewish sisters and brothers, affirming that we are stronger than hate – an especially important affirmation for us to make because, I’m sorry to say, in our country it’s Christians – or, people who say they are Christians - who do most of the hating.
            And then on Friday night, some of us got off the sidelines and into the mix by attending the Shabbat service with our friends just a few blocks away at Temple Beth-El. I don’t know, but considering recent tragic events, maybe some of us felt a little uncomfortable, a little nervous being there, but our presence was a powerful sign of solidarity and love.
            Our friend and neighbor Alain Mentha, a member of Temple Beth-El, wrote on Facebook how much it meant to him and the others in the synagogue to see friends and allies standing with them in their – our – time of grief.
            We Christians are meant to be men and women for others.
            We are made to be saints.
            And, saints are meant to be in the mix.
            There are no saints on the sidelines.

            Now, I am a notoriously bad mind-reader, but I’m guessing at this point some of you are ready to raise the white flag – to say, you know, I’m too busy – I’ve got too many responsibilities – I’ve got work every day and a tall pile of bills to pay – I’ve got kids or grandkids to raise – there’s just no way I can be “in the mix” – there’s no way I can be a saint.
            And, again, I’m no mind-reader, but I’m guessing others are thinking: I’m old and I’m tired and bones and muscles ache – I just don’t have the energy or the ability – I’m sorry but there’s no way I can be “in the mix” – there’s no way I can be a saint.
            I get it and I hear you, but the truth is we can all be in the mix – no one is off the hook when it comes to striving to be a saint.
            First of all, it is saintly to be raising young saints – especially during days like these – especially here in the city with dangers and temptations lurking at so many corners.
            Second, one thing that all saints have in common is that they are people of prayer.
            So, OK, you can’t help with Family Promise, then come off the sidelines by praying for our guests and praying for those who will offer them hospitality.
            OK, you can’t make it to City Hall or to the synagogue, then come off the sidelines by praying for our Jewish brothers and sisters who are hurting so much – pray that the fear and hatred on the loose in our country can be healed and we can live together in harmony.
            OK, all you can do is barely make it to church on Sunday, then come off the sidelines by taking home the prayer list that we print every week and sometime during the week pray for all of the many people listed there – the sick and the suffering – the people counting on us, counting on God.
            And, finally, maybe carve out a little time to pick up the phone and call someone you know who’s hurting – and we all know at least one person who’s hurting – pick up the phone and let them hear the voice of a flesh and blood human being who cares – let them hear our voice – let them hear the voice of a man or woman for others.
            Because that’s what we Christians are meant to be.
            We are made to be saints.
            And, saints are meant to be in the mix.
            There are no saints on the sidelines.
            Amen.