Monday, August 15, 2022

Luis, A Guide Along the Way



The Church of St. Paul & Incarnation, Jersey City NJ
August 15, 2022

The Funeral of Luis Gomez
John 14:1-6

Luis, A Guide Along the Way

I want to begin by thanking the Luis' family for inviting me to be here today and I want to especially thank Father Martin for graciously sharing his pulpit with me.
I am especially grateful to be here because, like all of you, I loved Luis very much and would not have wanted to miss this celebration of his life, this time when we entrust our brother to Almighty God.
The gospel lesson we heard today is the one we often read at funerals. In fact, we read it at Lois’ funeral right here a few years ago.
The setting is the Last Supper for Jesus and his closest friends.
Jesus had been predicting his death for quite a while, but you know how it is. It’s hard for us to accept that someone we love so much is going to suffer and die.
Now though, gathered around the table one final time, I’m sure the hard truth was beginning to sink in.
But, rather than sitting around in grief and fear, Jesus the Great Teacher uses this opportunity to teach a few last, most important lessons.
Jesus gets to his knees and, in an act of lowly service that shocked the disciples and still startles us, he washes the feet of his friends – showing them that this is how we are to love and care for one another.
Jesus takes and blesses the bread and wine and says this is his body and this is his blood, promising that he will always be with us in this special way, each time we gather around the table and remember him, just like we will do here in a little while.
Finally, Jesus promises that he will return for us and bring us to the place of reunion. And, furthermore, Jesus says that we know the way to the place where Jesus is going.
I always like to point out that the Apostle Thomas is the only one brave enough or honest enough to admit the truth.
He says:
“Lord, we do not know the way to the place where you are going. How can we know the way?”
And Jesus responds, “I am the way, the truth, and the life.”
Jesus is the way. 
Amen?
Jesus is the way, but we all know that we can lose our way along the way, right?
So, you know what God does?
God helps us out by sending us special people to guide us, to keep us on the way, to call us back to the way.
I know Luis was a guide along the way for his family and friends. 
And, you know what? Luis was a guide along the way for me, too.

When I arrived back here as rector, nine years ago now, St. Paul’s was in a fragile state. A lot of people had drifted way from the church for one reason or another, and it was not clear that we would be able to draw them back or if we would be able to attract newcomers.
Publicly, I expressed nothing but confidence in our future, but privately I wondered and worried.
I think I mostly kept those concerns from the congregation but I can remember a couple of times when I slipped.
Because I was so relieved that people were coming to church, there were a couple of Sundays when I began the announcements by thanking people for being here, making it sound like somehow I was the host of this event - and not Jesus Christ!
Anyway, I guess Luis let it slide the first Sunday but the next week when I said it again, I saw him – right there in his usual pew beside Lois – shaking his head “no.”
After the service he pulled me aside and in as loving a way as possible he told me to stop saying that – that being here was a blessing and an obligation, and not something for which he or anyone else should be thanked.
Luis guided us along the Way.

Another example.
Placing Holy Communion into the hands of people gathered around the altar is one of my great joys. Each time, I try to stay mindful, but I admit that sometimes I slip into autopilot or my mind wanders, or I get distracted by something going on elsewhere in the church. Sometimes I just look along the rail or down the aisle to see how many more people are waiting, and I’m no longer fully present.
But, no matter where my mind was when I reached Luis at the rail, he always brought me back to the sacred moment that we were sharing. He always took his time, kissing the cross he wore around his neck, making the Sign of the Cross and then, only when he was duly prepared, he stretched out his hands to receive the Body of Christ.
Luis guided us along the Way.

Finally, there was the love that Luis and Lois shared.
They were inseparable, of course. I used to see them all over the city, driving around in Luis’ truck (How could you miss that truck?)
They had such an easy way with each other, always up for laughing with each other, and always up giving each other the business.
Some of my fondest memories of Luis and Lois were at our elaborate coffee hours next door in Carr Hall, where Luis would say something funny and outrageous and Lois and Sonia and Irmgard and several other parishioners would go right back at him, having so much fun– and, of course, we’d all console Lois that she had to deal with this guy all the time.
I called this weekly game, “Pick on Luis.”
But, during Lois’ final illness and death, we all saw the seriousness, the depth, and the richness of their love. I remember those last days in the hospital, how Luis cared for Lois so tenderly, serenading her, holding her hand as she took her final steps on the Way. 
Luis soldiered on without Lois these last few years, but it was clear how lost he was without her, and how he so longed for reunion.
Luis guided us along the Way.

A few years ago, I visited Luis and Lois at the apartment over on Stegman. As usual we laughed a lot together and we prayed.
Luis and Lois showed me the family photos that were all around the apartment, telling me with pride who was who.
And Luis proudly showed me the elaborate shrine that he had created in their home, this beautiful sacred space that meant so much to him.
And so, you know, it seems exactly right that Luis’ earthly life ended there in that apartment, in the place that represented what was most important to him: his God and his family.
And now, Luis has completed his earthly journey and is in the place that Jesus has lovingly prepared for him – the place of reunion – the place of reunion with Lois and all the faithful departed.
And, we know the way to that place.
We know the way because we know Jesus – and we know the way thanks to a special guide named Luis Gomez.
Amen.