Sunday, May 10, 2020

Following the Way of Jesus



The Church of St. Paul and Incarnation, Jersey City NJ
May 10, 2020

Year A: The Fifth Sunday of Easter
Acts 7:55-60
Psalm 31:1-5, 15-16
1 Peter 2:2-10
John 14:1-14

Following the Way of Jesus
            Alleluia! Christ is risen!
            The Lord is risen indeed! Alleluia!
            If you tuned in last week, you may remember that I talked about how we humans are pretty amazing but we do have our limits, including when it comes to talking about God.
            The best we can do is come up with images - some that work better than others - images that point to what God is like.
            God is like a Father or a Mother.
            God is like a king, a potter, or a shepherd.
            But, for us Christians the clearest image we have of God is Jesus.
            As Jesus says to the Apostle Philip in today’s gospel lesson, to see Jesus is to see the Father.
            If we want to see what God is really like, we look to Jesus – we look to his love, his life, his teaching, his healing, his self-sacrifice, and, most of all, his resurrection, transforming death into new life.
            Alleluia! Christ is risen!
            The Lord is risen indeed! Alleluia!
            Today is the Fifth Sunday of Easter – yes, it’s still Easter – it’s still Easter even though we’ve been distracted by so much fear and sadness and separation and loneliness.
It’s still Easter even though we’ve been horrified by yet another deadly appearance of barbaric racism – the cold-blooded but unfortunately not really shocking killing in Georgia of Ahmaud Arbery, whose life was brutally cut short simply because he was a black man out for a jog in a white neighborhood.
It’s still Easter even though we face an uncertain future, not knowing when we will all be reunited, not knowing how we will all be reunited, not knowing when some of us who have been working so hard will finally get a rest, not knowing when some of us who have lost our jobs will find work again.
            So, yes, it’s still Easter even though it doesn’t really feel like it.
            And, it doesn’t really feel like Easter in today’s gospel lesson either.
            Actually, the setting is before the first Easter – it’s the Last Supper – and Jesus has gathered with his closest friends for one last meal, one final opportunity to teach how they are to live – how they – we - are to be washers of feet – how they – we – will always have Jesus with us, especially when we gather together around the table and remember him.
            At the Last Supper, with time running out, Jesus promises that they – we - will all be reunited and that they – we – know the way to the place where Jesus is going.
            At this point I always imagine at least some of the disciples nodding along with Jesus even though they have no idea what he’s talking about – and maybe others are surreptitiously looking around at each other with slight shrugs of the shoulders.
            But, it’s only Thomas who seems brave enough to speak up and admit he doesn’t get it. He says, “Lord, we do not know the way to the place where you are going. How can we know the way?”
            And, Jesus says, “I am the way, the truth, and the life.”
            Jesus is the way.
            As many of you know, this is the passage that we usually read at funerals – a reminder when we need it most that Jesus isn’t going to let go of us, no matter what – a reminder that we have seen Jesus – a reminder that we have been shown the way.
            And this isn’t a funeral but maybe in our time of trouble we need to be reminded that Jesus is the way – and that we know the way.


            A few weeks ago I had to drop off something at the home of one of our parishioners.
            As it happens, she lives in a high-rise apartment building where my parents and I lived when I was very little, when I was 2 and 3 years old.
            I guess I was in a chatty mood that day because I boasted to the man at the front desk that I had lived in this very building about fifty years ago! He didn’t seem terribly interested or impressed but he did give me a second look, as if asking himself, just how old is this guy?!?
            Since I was so young when we lived there, I only have two very vivid memories from that time and place.
            One is the garbage chute down the hall from our apartment, which definitely captured my imagination and probably scared me a little.
            Where did all of our trash go, anyway?
            Just what was at the bottom of the chute?
            And the other thing I remember is the balcony. The apartment (which my sources tell me was on the tenth floor) had a balcony and so we could go outside and look out at the sprawling city below.
            And, at least in my memory, my favorite thing to watch was the buses.
            Unlike today when most of our buses are all basically painted white, back then each bus company had its own color. You old-timers will remember: gray for the Boulevard; brown for Central Avenue; green for Public Service.
            Maybe this is how I learned my colors – I’ll check with my sources.
            Anyway, I liked the buses so much that the very first job I ever wanted was to be a bus driver!
            And, I don’t want to overanalyze this, but think I wanted to be a bus driver not for the excitement of driving a big vehicle or getting to meet lots of different people, but because buses follow fixed routes – day after day the drivers steer their buses along the same way.
            In fact, when I was a little older I used to love looking at maps and tracing the routes of buses and trains – and, I can’t see you but if you’re making fun of me, knock it off! There’s nothing unusual about any of this!
            And, ever since I was able to go out on my own, I’ve always liked following a set route – I still do that today when I take my morning walks through Lincoln Park – most days I go the same way in the same order.
            Now, it’s possible that I’m completely lacking in creativity and I’m the most boring person you’ve ever met, but I think that following the same route day after day eliminates many distractions, helps to keep focus, and allows an awareness of subtle changes that we might otherwise miss if we’re all going over the place.
            Right now in the park, it’s wonderful to see new life bursting out all over, along the same paths that were gray and barren just a few weeks ago.
            Each time we travel along our route we deepen our bond to these places, to this particular way.

            Jesus is the way.
Following the way of Jesus is a lot like taking the same route every day - we pray and we break bread – we tell and re-tell the old stories – we sing songs that some of us have been singing our whole lives – we offer help to people in need – we mess up and say we’re sorry and try to do better and we offer forgiveness to those who have wronged us – we share the Good News, sometimes by word but mostly through example.
We follow the way of Jesus.
For many of you, I’m just reminding you of something you know so well.
For example, quite a few of you have been asking about how to get your copy of Forward Day By Day. To be honest, I hadn’t realized that so many of you relied on that handy and daily resource, didn’t know that so many of you followed that particular daily route.
(Good news: the latest issue has finally arrived and went out in the mail at the end of last week – I know some of you have already received your copy.)
Following the way of Jesus is a lot like taking the same route day after day – and along the way we deepen our bond to Jesus or, rather, Jesus deepens his bond to us.
So, during this strange and troubling Easter season when so much has been taken away from us – so many of the activities of our lives have been canceled or postponed – we’ve been separated from many of the people we love - so many of our usual routes have been blocked – during this strange time maybe we’re able to see the way of Jesus – a way that will never be canceled or blocked – maybe we can see and follow the way of Jesus a little more clearly than before.

Long ago, Jesus the Image of God promised Thomas and Philip and the other disciples that they would all be reunited – and Jesus makes the same promise to us today.
And we know the way – it’s the way of bread and wine – it’s the way of washing feet – it’s the way of love and forgiveness – it’s the way of sisterhood and brotherhood – it’s the way of justice for the innocent and the vulnerable – and, most of all, the way of Jesus is the way from death to new life.
Alleluia! Christ is risen!
            The Lord is risen indeed! Alleluia!
Amen.