Sunday, September 22, 2019

Clever, Quick, and Strong

The Church of St. Paul & Incarnation, Jersey City
September 22, 2019

Year C, Proper 20: The 15th Sunday after Pentecost
Jeremiah 8:18-9:1
Psalm 79:1-98
1 Timothy 2:1-7
Luke 16:1-13

Clever, Quick, and Strong
            Probably thanks to the recent arrival of our ministry intern, Lorna Woodham, lately I’ve been thinking back to my own preparation for ordained ministry: my studies in seminary and my own field education at two different churches in our diocese.
            In a lot of ways that time and those experiences prepared me pretty well for being a parish priest:
            I learned a lot about the Bible and about Theology and about Church History.
            I learned how to perform a Baptism and celebrate the Eucharist and how to lead the other sacramental rites of the Church.
            I learned how to offer pastoral care to people who are sick or in some other kinds of distress.
            I learned how to run a vestry meeting and how to try to deal with disagreement and conflict in a congregation.
            I even learned how to chant (more or less)!
            But, looking back on it, there was at least one big gap in my preparation: I never really learned very much about church finance.
            Now, I’m sure seminaries could and should do a better job of prepping future priests for the financial issues and challenges (many, many challenges) that they – we - will face.
            But, I should take some responsibility for this myself. Because, I have to admit it, that church finance is just about my least favorite part of this job.
            Although over the years I’ve learned a lot finance and what we might call the “business side” of the church, often I still feel out of my depth and knowing how the high the stakes are it all makes me very anxious.
(That anxiety probably has deep roots in my lifelong struggle with, and even fear of, math!)
            I don’t know whether this is good news or bad news but my sense is that I am not alone in feeling this way – not just among clergy who would rather be praying with people than reviewing a financial statement – but among a lot of people who are not as attentive to financial matters as they should be – probably because it’s complicated and maybe depressing or scary to think about.
            And, while I’m admitting my own weaknesses I’ll say that Sue does nearly all of the financial planning in our family.
            But, when it comes to the church, I have no choice. The wardens, vestry, and I are responsible for the financial health of our church.
            And, as much as I’d like to separate church finance from everything else we do, the truth is that our finances – our church finances and also our personal finances – are a spiritual responsibility, too.
            Our budgets – both our church budget and our own personal budget – are moral documents.
            How we spend our money says a whole lot about what’s important to us – and what’s not so important.
            God has given us so much – just look around – and God expects us to take care of what we’ve been given and to use it to care for God’s people and to share the Good News.
            Our finances are a spiritual responsibility.
            Which brings us to today’s parable.
            If you were here last Sunday you may remember that we heard two parables – they are usually called the Parable of the Lost Sheep and the Parable of the Lost Coin – two parables that along with the Parable of the Prodigal Son have the same, pretty easy to understand theme: lost – found – rejoicing.
            Luke tells us that those parables were told to a larger crowd, not just people who were followers of Jesus, and may have included people who were skeptical of, or even hostile to, Jesus.
            But, today’s parable – usually called the Parable of the Dishonest Steward (or Manager) – this parable is directed to the disciples – so maybe we’re getting some more advanced information from Jesus, more sophisticated and more challenging than what he offered to the general public.
            Even if I’m wrong about that, we can all agree that that this is a very difficult to understand parable. If you were following along you may have been perplexed by - or even disturbed by - some of what you heard.
            Even Luke the Evangelist who retells this story doesn’t seem to know what to make of it.
            There was a rich man who discovered that his manager was apparently stealing from him. Now, generally, in parables when someone is identified as a “rich man” he is not presented favorably but here the “rich man” seems to be OK (though we’re not given much information – no one would be shocked he’s been treating his employees, including the manager, unfairly. That’s a familiar story, right?)
But, in the parable, it’s the manager who comes across as sneaky and hard to like.
            When the rich man confronts the manager about his theft, he’s afraid he’s going to lose his job, afraid he’s going to lose everything, so the frightened but clever manager thinks fast.
            The manager decides to cut the bill for each of the people who supply the rich man, hoping that these people will be so grateful that they will welcome him into their homes after the rich man gives him the axe.
            (He seems pretty sure that this plan will work, though I have my doubts.)
            Now, I have to stop here for a second because it’s not really clear what exactly the manager is doing.
            He may be cutting out his own take (or, let’s be polite, “commission”), which would be fine, right?
            Or, he might be stealing some more from the rich man, which would seem to be not right, right?
            Anyway, the manager hopes that all of this bill cutting will be an insurance policy for the future. Maybe yes, maybe no.
            And, now things get very weird because we’re told that the rich man “commended” – applauded, approved of, what the manager did, because he liked his shrewdness.
            And then Jesus offers some unsettling commentary:
            “…for the children of this age are more shrewd in dealing with their own generation than are the children of light. And, I tell you, make friends of yourselves by means of dishonest wealth so that when it is gone, they may welcome you into the eternal homes.”
            Got that?
            The Evangelist Luke then adds some Jesus sayings about wealth, which are all true and important – “whoever is dishonest in a very little is also dishonest in much” – “You cannot serve God and wealth.”
            But, they don’t seem to really connect with today’s parable.
            So, what to make of all of this?
            Recognizing that scholars have long puzzled over this parable and always will, here’s what I think:
            There’s no way that Jesus is approving of the manager’s dishonesty, but he does seem to admire his cleverness and quickness and that he keeps his wits about him even when he’s under a whole lot of stress, even when it seems like his whole life is in real danger of being ruined.
            God has given us good brains that allow us to be quick and clever.
            God has given us strength to keep our cool even when it seems like everything is about to be lost.
            And so, it seems to me, that Jesus wants us to use our cleverness and quickness and strength to take good care of what has been given to us, and to use it to care for God’s people and to share the Good News.
            I hate talking about, or really even thinking about, money – both my own money and the money of the church.
            But, you and I need to think about if how I spend my money really reflects what I say I believe – what I say is truly important.
            Seeing those huge numbers of young people here in our own country and all around the world taking to the streets on Friday as part of the “Climate Strike,” demanding that we all and especially our leaders take immediate steps to stop and turn back the life-threatening damage we are doing to our planet, really gets me thinking about the choices I make and that we make together here.
            We try at least somewhat but there is still some low-hanging fruit, some easy changes we can make. For example, finally, at long last, please, for the love of God, we have to stop using Styrofoam. I know it’s cheaper but we need to be clever like the manager – a few extra bucks won’t help any of us when our oceans are dead.
            Here at church, one of the things I’m proudest of is that we now have a very competent, thoughtful, and devoted Finance Committee – a group of parishioners who are clever, quick, and strong, not for their own benefit but for our common good.
            We have been given so much – both individually and as a community here -and as temporary residents of this beautiful planet – just look around.
            And in today’s parable, Jesus uses the example of the dishonest manager to challenge us to be clever, quick, and strong – not just for ourselves, but for our church, for our world, and for the Kingdom of God.
            Amen.