Sunday, May 26, 2019

The Gift of the Spirit for Troubled Hearts

The Church of St. Paul & Incarnation, Jersey City NJ
May 26, 2019

Acts 16:9-15
Psalm 67
Revelation 21:10, 22-22:5
John 14:23-29

The Gift of the Spirit for Troubled Hearts
            Alleluia! Christ is risen!
            The Lord is risen indeed! Alleluia!
            I recently read a book by Kate Bowler, who teaches at Duke Divinity School and is a scholar of what’s known as the Prosperity Gospel.
            The Prosperity Gospel is a particularly American twist on Christianity that is preached in many churches across our land as well as on our TV sets. And, yes, I know that some of our own parishioners come here for real-life church but also tune into some of the Prosperity Gospel preachers on TV.
            Those prosperity preachers teach that God is ready and willing to shower every material blessing upon us, if only we believe the right things, live the right way, pray hard enough, and, yes, give very generously to their church.
            They often hold themselves up as evidence that what they’re preaching really works – and if they can do it then we too can have a mansion and a jet and gleaming white teeth and remarkably tight and unlined skin.
            Obviously, I’m not a fan of this particular theology.
            But, as someone who leads a church that draws only about 100 or so people on a typical Sunday while most of the prosperity preachers draw thousands and thousands of people, some humility is probably a good idea, as usual.
            Anyway, Kate Bowler is a scholar who has studied and written about the Prosperity Gospel, but the book of hers I read isn’t scholarly at all.
            No, it’s an incredibly powerful and moving memoir and reflection called, Everything Happens for a Reason and Other Lies I’ve Loved.
A few years ago, back in 2015, Kate Bowler’s life seemed to be going along just fine. She was married to the man she had loved since they were teenagers.
They had just had their first child, a healthy and happy little boy.
She had a good job teaching at Duke.
But then, at the age of 35, Kate Bowler began experiencing excruciating pain.
It took the doctors some time to figure out what was going on with this seemingly healthy young woman, but eventually they determined that she was suffering from Stage IV cancer and the prognosis was very bleak indeed.
            Suddenly Kate’s whole life was upended and she had to face the likelihood that she had very little time left – very little time with her husband and young son – very little time for her career – very little time for all the simple yet profound pleasures of life.
            As you’d guess, this scholar and teacher of religion has a lot of Christian friends and acquaintances.
Some of the Prosperity Gospel people said the kinds of things that people – maybe even some of us – sometimes say in situations like this. They said her faith was being tested. They said her suffering was part of God’s mysterious plan, and that, yes, everything happens for a reason.
But, they also kicked their praying into overdrive, absolutely convinced that the right amount and the right kind of prayer would convince God to beat back the cancer threatening Kate’s life.
Others among her friends also prayed for her, of course, but they also offered the gifts of presence – just being with her and holding her hand – and also the gift of solidarity, saying out loud that what was happening to Kate was horrible, unfair, and terrifying.
In her book, she reports something surprising – that in the midst of all of this terror, all of the meetings with doctors, all of the painful treatments, all of the difficult conversations with family, in the midst of preparing for death, she somehow felt an odd sense of peace – she felt God’s presence with her during the worst days of her life.
She writes, “At a time when I should have felt like I was abandoned by God, I was not reduced to ashes. I felt like I was floating, floating on the love and prayers of all those who hummed around me like worker bees, bringing notes and flowers and warm socks and quilts embroidered with words of encouragement. They came in like priests and mirrored back to me the face of Jesus.”
Four years later, Kate Bowler still has her cancer, but thanks to experimental treatments and, I have no doubt, the power of the prayers that continue to surround her, Kate Bowler is still alive and working, living from one doctor’s appointment to the next.
Pretty amazing, right?
But, it’s that sense of peace for a troubled heart that I find most amazing of all – and it’s what I keep thinking about.
And, I think that peace is the gift of the Holy Spirit that Jesus speaks about in today’s lesson from the Gospel of John.
The setting is the Last Supper and the disciples are understandably upset that Jesus is leaving them – their hearts are so very troubled that Jesus will die, seemingly abandoning them to an uncertain and frightening fate.
But, Jesus promises that God the Father will send the gift of the Holy Spirit – the Holy Sprit who will teach, but maybe most of all, the Holy Spirit who reminds us of God’s presence even when everything seems to be going wrong, even when our world is turned upside-down.
Jesus says, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid.”
In two weeks, on the great feast of Pentecost, we’ll officially celebrate the gift of the Holy Spirit with a big service and by wearing red and by enjoying a barbecue picnic, but we don’t have to wait until June 9 for the Holy Spirit.
 That gift of peace is available to us, especially when our hearts are troubled.
When I was reading Kate Bowler’s beautiful little book, I couldn’t help but think of the many people I’ve encountered past and present who have faced sudden and terrible events: a broken relationship, a lost job, a bad choice, a grim diagnosis, the death of one we love.
Around here lately we’ve had quite a few people going through those kinds of difficult times and my hope is that we are the kind of community that doesn’t offer easy words but is willing to really enter into the suffering others, to be there side by side, lamenting the sadness and unfairness of it all but promising to hold on no matter what.
That’s what I hope we are and I am, but, honestly, it’s a lot.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m certainly not complaining.
I knew what I signed up for and feel very much blessed to be here and do this work.
But it does take a toll.
So, lately, I’ve been a little bit in the dumps, feeling sad about how much suffering is going on right here in our own church, feeling disgusted and frightened about what’s going on in Washington, feeling frustrated by the many buildings and grounds issues we face on our aging property, increasingly aware of my own aging, discouraged by the slow bureaucracy of the church, and on and on.
I’ve felt a little bit like one of those cartoon characters that has a cloud following them wherever I go.
Anyway, the other afternoon I was driving home after yet another meeting, feeling grumpy and generally dissatisfied.
I turned down a side street and, sure enough, had to stop behind a school bus, with its lights flashing and little stop sign extended.
Ugh.
I don’t remember exactly, but I bet I was tapping my finger on the steering wheel, probably mumbling something like, “Oh, come on, come on, come on already…”
But then, a little boy came off the bus.
He was about eight years old, I think.
He was obviously disabled, just barely able to walk on his own, slowly and awkwardly.
He took those few steps with determination, making his way from the bus to the curb where a woman who seemed to be his grandmother was waiting for him.
When he finally reached the curb, he broke into this huge smile and his grandmother broke into this huge smile and he just about threw himself into her arms and they embraced and they laughed and she bathed his head with loving kisses.
Their joy - it was like he had just returned from a long, long journey rather than just a day at school.
I have to tell you that their love nearly knocked me back in my seat, nearly blinded me with its brightness.
And now, instead of impatiently tapping my steering wheel, I was wiping away tears, and I felt a sense of love and peace like I hadn’t felt in weeks.
So, no, I don’t think that everything happens for a reason, but I do know that, especially when our hearts are troubled, God sends us the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed! Alleluia!
Amen.