Friday, June 19, 2020

"Always On Duty"



“Always On Duty”

Maybe it’s because of graduation season or because I want to escape the present by retreating into the past, but lately I have been thinking a lot about my days as a teacher.

A couple of weeks ago I shared a memory from when I taught at St. Vincent Academy in Newark. I was young when I taught there but it was not my first teaching position. A couple of years earlier, when I had graduated from college I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with my life, so I decided I would teach for a little while until I figured things out. I don’t know why I thought I could teach, except that I had spent most of life sitting in classrooms, taught by teachers I judged to be effective, or not so much. Maybe because I really didn’t know what else to do, I managed to convince myself that I knew how to do this!

The only problem was I couldn’t convince anyone else and so by the end of the summer I was desperate. Fortunately, someone else was maybe almost as desperate. With the school year just about to start, the principal of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel School in Bayonne had a strong incentive to fill one last teaching position and I can only assume that during my interview she decided that I looked and sounded presentable enough to solve her problem. She hired me on the spot and handed me the teacher’s editions of the textbooks I would be using. And so, I began my adult life teaching Math (the less said about this, the better) and Social Studies to seventh and eighth graders.

Much stricter and more old-fashioned than what I had experienced in my own Catholic grammar school, Mt. Carmel was actually an excellent place to begin to learn how to teach. Freed from worrying too much about maintaining discipline, I could focus on teaching my lessons and gaining confidence as an educator, and as someone who could make his own way in the world. Although the job paid peanuts, at the start of my second year I took a big step into adulthood by moving out of my family’s house and into a studio apartment in Bayonne, just a couple of blocks from the school.

Back then anyway, living in Bayonne felt like living in a small town. Sure enough, I quickly discovered that I would run into many of my students and their parents all the time. Walking along Broadway. Riding the bus. Eating in a restaurant. And, yes, shopping in Shop Rite.  No surprise, these encounters were usually at least somewhat awkward. Frankly, there were times I just wanted to be left alone. And, sometimes my students and their parents were a little disoriented to bump into me outside of my classroom habitat, dressed more casually than my teacher “uniform” of jacket and tie. And, then there was my favorite moment: if we ran into each other in the supermarket, students and parents could never resist looking down to check out the apparently interesting items in my shopping cart! What does Mr. Murphy eat? Well, now we know!

Although, of course, everyone is entitled to a private life and times of rest, I came to understand that, whether I liked it or not, I was a teacher not only when I was in school but whenever and wherever I went out in the community. In a sense, I was always “on duty.” The same is even truer now for my life as a priest. And, I would argue, the same is true for all of us who seek to follow Jesus. We can’t “compartmentalize” our faith, trying to pack it into the time we spend in church (or, these days, when we join a service on Facebook or over the phone). We are Christians when we walk down the street, ride the bus, eat in a restaurant, and, yes, even when we make our way up and down supermarket aisles.

No question, the past few months have been very difficult – and, unfortunately, we are not yet out of the woods. But, since God never misses an opportunity to create and nurture new life, there have been abundant blessings, too. More of us have been praying and worshiping. More of us have been reaching out to each other, especially checking on those who are ill or lonely. And, I believe that the forced exile from our beautiful church building can remind us that as Christians we are always “on duty.” We cannot – must not – compartmentalize our faith.

I got to thinking about all of this because the leaders of Jersey City Together have begun reading and reflecting on The Cross and the Lynching Tree by the great theologian, The Rev. Dr. James Cone. In this book, Dr. Cone draws what should have been an obvious parallel between the brutal execution of Jesus long ago and the bloody lynching of black people in our country. He writes:

“The lynching tree – so strikingly similar to the cross on Golgotha – should have a prominent place in American images of death. But it does not. In fact, the lynching tree has no place in American theological reflections about Jesus’ cross or in the proclamation of Christian churches about his Passion.”

It is sobering indeed to remember that most, if not all, of the people responsible for lynching, and those bystanders who were happy to watch and cheer, were self-described Christians. How is it possible to follow Jesus of Nazareth and his call to love our neighbors – to love our enemies, even – and then to hate and terrorize and kill people? It seems to me that this diabolical disconnect only becomes possible when we try to compartmentalize our faith, when there are certain times that we think we can go “off duty.”

Those white Christians should have been able to see and hear the face and voice of the Crucified Christ in the black people they hated and terrorized and killed - just as we should see and hear Jesus each Good Friday when we make our way to places in our city stained by violence - just as we should see and hear Jesus in that horrible moment when George Floyd gasps, “I can’t breathe…”

If we white people try to console ourselves by saying that we would certainly never do anything so cruel and terrible, it’s important to remember that the people gathered at the foot of the lynching trees would have surely seen themselves – and would have been judged by their white neighbors - as good, upstanding people. And, while what we do or don’t do in the world is certainly important, we would be wise to remember that Jesus was particularly concerned about what’s going on in our hearts.

And, you know, whenever I’m tempted to think that I don’t benefit so much from my own whiteness, I’m going to think back to that long-ago job interview and try to remember that a black person with the same lack of qualifications (or, probably, even with more experience) would almost certainly never have been considered for that teaching position – the opportunity that set in motion the rest of my life. Talk about white privilege!

So, this time of forced exile from our church building is a blessed opportunity to ask God to heal our hearts – to help us to see Jesus in the suffering people all around us, especially our black sisters and brothers who still, even after everything, still have to insist that their lives matter.  This difficult time is a holy opportunity to strive to be a Christian wherever we go - yes, even the supermarket. This would be an especially good time to finally knock down our “compartments” and remain on duty, in faithful service to the Prince of Peace.