Sunday, March 08, 2020

Meeting Jesus in the Dark






The Church of St. Paul and Incarnation, Jersey City NJ
March 8, 2020

Year A: The Second Sunday in Lent
Genesis 12:1-4a
Psalm 121
Romans 4:1-5, 13-17
John 3:1-17

Meeting Jesus in the Dark
            Last Sunday afternoon one of my all-time favorite people died.
            Her name was Lyn Foster and although you didn’t know her she has touched your lives because I know that she prayed for me and for all of us here, week after week.
            Lyn was a parishioner at my former parish, Grace Church in Madison, for decades.
            She and her husband Bill were quiet, unassuming people, but very much part of the fabric of that church.
            I arrived at Grace as a newly ordained deacon, not really knowing what the heck I was doing and feeling insecure with maybe a little chip on my shoulder about the suburbanites I’d be living among and serving.
Anyway, a couple of months after I started at Grace, Bill and Lyn’s adult daughter Beth was diagnosed with a return of cancer.
I had never met Beth, but one day Bill Foster pulled me aside and asked me to go visit his daughter in the hospital, adding, “I think the two of you would hit it off.”
            And so began one of the most extraordinary experiences of my life.
            Over the next week, during what turned out to be the last week of her life, I experienced what felt like a lifelong friendship with Beth that was compressed into just a few days, a few incredibly painful and yet somehow still beautiful days as a woman still full of life recognized that she had reached the end, as a family endured what seemed unbearable.
            After making that journey together, Bill and Lyn and I had forged a strong bond, one that I will certainly never forget - a bond that helped to shape the best parts of my priesthood.
            Lyn and I kept in touch over the years – that’s how I knew she prayed for us – and I was able to visit with her a few days before she died, able to hold her hand and thank her for her friendship and support.
            But, it isn’t only Lyn’s death that has gotten me thinking even more than usual about my days at Grace Madison.
            The recent dramatic fluctuations of the stock market is also bringing back a lot of Grace Church memories.
            I arrived there at the end of the summer of 2007, just in time for the financial crisis that shook everybody’s life, but especially people in that generally affluent suburb where many people, especially the men, worked on Wall Street or elsewhere in the financial industry.
            These were men who had known great success in their careers, who had built prosperous lives living in beautiful homes, able to provide their families with so much.
And now, suddenly, shockingly, all of that was at risk.
            I remember one time being in the local bagel shop with a bunch of the guys from church and they began listing the names of men they knew who had lost their jobs, speaking in hushed tones as if remembering the dead, as if saying it too loud might bring the same fate upon them.
            Despite not really understanding their world – it was a running joke that I didn’t know the first thing about investing - I tried to reach out to these men as best I could.
I invited them over to our house for occasional Men’s Group “meetings,” which were really just times to be together for food and drink, providing a safe place for them to share their fears and frustrations.
            And, you know, those were scary days and it wasn’t easy for many of these men to share their vulnerabilities, but some of them did.
That time was a gift for me, a time when I came to see that people who seemed to have it all were in fact just as lost and frightened as the rest of us.
Whatever doubts or prejudices I had about these suburbanites quickly fell away as I realized that we were all in this together.

            And now, all these years later, I look back on those hours in Beth’s hospital room and the hours with guys sitting around our living room and I realize that, somehow, in those dark places, I met Jesus.
            Meeting Jesus in the dark.

            In today’s gospel lesson we heard the poignant and important story of Nicodemus, a Pharisee, a leader of his people, who came to Jesus by night.
I love the character of Nicodemus, someone who must have been well educated in his faith, a man of authority respected by the people around him, a person who others must have seen as having his act together, and yet…
I imagine him consumed by his questions and uncertainties, unable to set them aside, unable to rest.
Maybe out of fear or doubt he’s unwilling or just can’t see Jesus in the light of day.
Instead, one night he meets Jesus in the dark.
If the stakes weren’t so high, we might say that this scene with Jesus and Nicodemus is kind of funny.
What makes it almost comical is that they are talking on two very different levels, right?
Jesus is teaching about the need to be reborn – to be reborn in the water of baptism, to be reborn by the Spirit.
And well-educated and highly respected Nicodemus hears this talk about rebirth and tries to figure out how exactly a grownup like him is supposed to get back into his mother’s womb and start life all over again.
Now, he’s a bright guy so I’m guessing it’s not that he didn’t understand.
I suspect it’s that he didn’t want to understand, knowing that if he gets it then he’ll be faced with the choice of a lifetime: hold on to what he has or risk everything by following Jesus.
In the dark, Nicodemus met Jesus.
And that encounter has the potential to change everything.

If you were following along in that gospel passage, you may have noticed that there is a shift towards the end.
What had been a faintly comic but deadly serious conversation between Jesus and Nicodemus now becomes a statement of fundamental Christian belief.
The Evangelist John writes those well-known words:
“For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life.” (John 3:16)
And then there’s the equally important John 3:17 that we often forget:
“Indeed, God did not send the Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.”
God loves the world so much that God gives us Jesus, not just once, not just two thousand years ago, but all the time, especially when the world and our lives are darkest.
In the story, Nicodemus goes to Jesus in the dark – in his time of darkness – but it’s been my experience that Jesus doesn’t wait for us to come to him.
 When it’s dark, Jesus just shows up.
So, it was dark when cancer struck a smart and talented and much-loved woman in the prime of her life, but Jesus was there.
It was dark when all of the structures and prosperity and hard work and talent that people always counted on suddenly seemed to fall apart and left some of us feeling vulnerable and afraid, but Jesus was there.
And now today, it’s dark when an epidemic spreads, and we look at hands and doorknobs and our brothers and sisters right here as potential carriers of contagion, but Jesus is here.
It’s dark when the stock market is a rollercoaster, risking our retirements, threatening the financial health of our church, but Jesus is here.
It’s dark when we are bitterly divided into political camps, no longer listening to each other, no longer agreeing on basic facts, and always assuming the worst of one another, but Jesus is here.
God so loves the world, even at its darkest – especially at its darkest - and that’s why we meet Jesus when we’re grieving and afraid and angry – when we’re confused like brother Nicodemus.
God loves the world - all of it - and wants to save it.
And, that’s why we meet Jesus in the dark, a meeting that has the potential to change everything.
It’s an important lesson I learned in Madison, a long time ago.