Sunday, September 09, 2018

In a Strange Land

St. Paul’s Church in Bergen & Church of the Incarnation, Jersey City NJ
September 9, 2018

Year B, Proper 18: The 16th Sunday after Pentecost
Proverbs 22:1-2, 8-9, 22-23
Psalm 125
James 2:1-17
Mark 7:24-37

In a Strange Land
            Over the past few of weeks, a couple of events in my family have gotten me thinking about the passage of time and the sometimes surprising shape of our lives, the surprising shape of my life.
            The first event was celebratory: recently, my oldest niece went off to Florida to begin her first year in college.
            I think I can speak for my whole family when I say we can hardly believe that she’s already old enough for this big, momentous step. I know I still think of her as a shy and sweet little girl, but the facts are the facts and she is now a college freshman in a relatively faraway place facing the challenge and excitement of learning and making friends, and making – we hope and believe - good decisions.
            The other event was a sad one: last week, one of my aunts died after suffering with cancer.
            Maybe because I hadn’t seen her much in recent years, I still think of her the way I’m sure she’d like to be remembered: as young and healthy, welcoming me and other relatives to big parties at her family’s suburban home – especially welcoming us to their large backyard, which had what seemed like an almost unimaginable luxury: an in-ground pool!
            When milestones like the first year of college or the death of someone you’ve known your whole life come along, it gets you thinking about your own life – about how much time has already passed and how much is left before God calls us home.
            And, at least for me, it gets me thinking about the shape of my life – the twists and turns – the story that I could not have written, could never have imagined, no matter how hard I tried.
            For example, about seventeen years ago or so, when I began to seriously consider the possibility of becoming an Episcopal priest, when I finally worked up the courage to make an appointment with Fr. Hamilton and say out loud what I had been thinking and praying – back then I was absolutely, one hundred percent sure that God was calling me to be a city priest.
            After all, while other family members had moved to the ‘burbs, I had stayed in the city. This is what I knew. This is where I could really contribute to the building of Christ’s church.
            Although it was certainly a nice place to visit, especially to take a dip in the pool, I had no interest in the suburbs, no desire to minister to and with people living what I imagined as their comfortable lives in big, beautiful homes on tree-lined streets, some even with in-ground pools!
            But, as we know, God has a sense of humor and so when I was ordained a little more than ten years ago and began looking for a full-time job, there were no full-time positions in any of our city churches.
            In fact, there were few full-time positions anywhere, but there was one. It was a particularly plum position, actually: to be the assistant – or, “curate” in church-talk – at Grace Church in leafy, beautiful, affluent Madison.
            Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope.
I did not want to go there.
            Bishop Beckwith tried to convince me that Madison was actually pretty diverse for a suburb and there might be opportunities to work together with some city churches and clergy.
            I wasn’t really sold.
But the fact was I also really needed a job, so I went out to Madison and met with Grace’s then-rector – Lauren Ackland – and met with some of the parishioners – and drove around the town, and began to think, well, you know, this might be OK, for a while.
            And, so I took the job and Sue and I moved out to the suburbs. We found ourselves living in a strange land.
            The truth is that I went to Madison wanting to do a good job but also with kind of an attitude – or, maybe, a bunch of attitudes.
            I went into that place inclined to not particularly like people who I perceived as having pretty easy, pretty comfortable lives.
            It was kind of the reverse of the bias we’re warned about in today’s passage from the Letter of James. Rather than give them special treatment, I was quick to judge and mistrust, quick to make unkind assumptions, about the people wearing fine clothes.
            I think most of my attitude problem stemmed from the fact that I went to Madison with my insecurities raging: I would be living and serving among many who had attended much more prestigious schools than I had – people who were in some sense “better” than me and my people – or, at least people who I thought would think that they were better than me and my people.
            I’ve never been so wrong about anything in my life.
            Despite all of this negative stuff bubbling in my brain, we fell in love with each other almost immediately.
            In this strange land, I discovered kind and incredibly generous people who loved their families just as much as my people did – people who carried around sorrows and fears and insecurities and bore deep scars – just like we all do.
            But, here’s what cemented my love for the people in the strange land of Madison:
            A month or two after I started working there, an older parishioner pulled me aside and told me that his daughter – a little bit older than me - was in the hospital and he asked if I could stop by and see her.
            He explained that she wasn’t much of a churchgoer but he thought that the two of us would hit it off.
            So, I went to the hospital to visit this woman I had never met – the daughter of parishioners I was just getting to know and love – all in what was still for me a strange land.
            Her name was Elizabeth. And, after having been in remission, unfortunately and tragically, her cancer had returned with a vengeance.
            But, her father had been right. We did hit it off, immediately.
            In fact, in what remains one of the most amazing experiences of my life, as I sat by her bedside, we somehow managed to pack what felt like years of friendship into what turned out to be the last few days of Elizabeth’s life.
            And, as I sat in the hospital room with her grieving parents and husband and children, and as I mourned a close friend that I had just met a few days earlier, I realized that we were truly brothers and sisters – and that I was exactly where God wanted me, exactly where I was supposed to be, at exactly the right time.
            In a strange land.

            At the start of today’s gospel lesson, we were given a little, easy to miss, but quite important detail.
            We’re told that Jesus had gone to the region of Tyre.
            This is an important little detail because Tyre (which is in modern-day Lebanon) was not a Jewish place. No, Jesus has left his homeland, left the people with whom he was most comfortable, and has entered a strange land, filled with people he might not understand and, at least at first, might not even trust.
Jesus enters a strange land, understandably trying
to keep a low profile, perhaps trying to get his bearings. And, at first, Jesus seems not sure that his Good News, his healing power, is for absolutely everybody, Jew and Gentile alike.
            Enter the unnamed but oh-so-persistent and brave and, most of all, loving Syro-Phoenician woman who begs Jesus to heal her daughter.
            In one of the most shocking scenes in the New Testament, in probably the least Jesus-like moment in the Gospels, Jesus at first dismisses this desperate woman, dismisses her in fact with what sounds like an insult:
            “Let the children be fed first for it is not fair to take the children’s food and throw it to the dogs.”
            A less persistent – or a less desperate person – would have backed down, but not this this woman. She goes right back at Jesus:
            “Sir, even the dogs under the table eat the children’s crumbs.”
            It seems that this woman’s persistent faith touches Jesus, opens up something inside of him, helps him to recognize that his gift is for the whole world – and, so, he heals the sick daughter.
            In a strange land.

            Even if you live in the same place you’ve lived your whole life, even if you haven’t just sent a child off to college, even if you haven’t just buried someone you love, today all of us find ourselves living in a strange land.
            Our neighborhoods are changing, with lots of new people – different kinds of people – moving in.
            Our church is changing – with lots of new people – different kinds of people – finding a spiritual home here.
            Our country is changing – with longstanding customs and norms being broken and discarded on a daily basis.
            I don’t need to tell you that living in a strange land can be quite stressful.
            As we see every single day, living in a strange land can provoke our insecurities, can stir up in us less than positive attitudes.
            So, my prayer is that we’ll remember that all of us - no matter where we live, no matter what kind of clothes we wear, no matter how much or how little money we have, no matter the color of our skin, no matter our political views:
All of us love our people.
All of us carry around sorrows and fears and all of us bear deep scars.
All of us need healing.
All of us are hungry for the Good News.
And, most of all, all of us are loved, so deeply loved, by the God we know in and through Jesus Christ.
            Amen.